There are a lot of drones out there that are capable of carrying a GoPro camera and choosing the right one can be tricky. When you are on the hunt for the Best GoPro Drone you need a quadcopter that is agile, easy to control, has plenty of flight time and of course, has the GoPro mount.
GoPro cameras have amazing picture quality and if you already own one it makes perfect sense to get a drone that you can use with it instead of buying a camera drone. Let`s take a look at the top 5 most well-known brands to see what is the Best GoPro Drone on the market right now.
1. DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter
Probably one of the best-known drone brands out there with some amazing products and the Phantom 2 is the drone mean fro flying with your own camera. Flying with Phantom 2 is really easy and it is an RTF (ready-to-fly) drone, meaning you can pretty much start flying with this baby once you get it out of the box. You can feel pretty comfortable flying it far away from you because if you happen to lose contact with the drone it has a built-in return to home feature. You ca get the DJI Phantom2 with a Zenmuse gimbal for around 400 USD which is not that expensive if you consider the quality you will get.
Key features of the DJI Phantom 2
- Ready to Fly
- Multifunctional Quad-rotor System
- Customized H3-2D and H3-3D Gimbal Support
- Precision Flight and Stable Hovering
- 25min Flight Time & Smart Battery
- Auto Return-to-Home & Landing
- Advanced Power Management
- Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC)
- Easy Battery Replacement
- Self-tightening Propeller
- Video Downlink Support
- CAN-Bus Expansion Modulez
2. GoPro Karma Drone
The reason why GoPro Karma drone is not at number 1 in the 5 Best GoPro Drone list is because of the problems they have been having with the drone falling out of the sky randomly. GoPro has now fixed the issue and re-released the drone so let`s hope the issue has been resolved.
Here is a longer overview of the GoPro Karma drone we did back in September 2016 when it was first launched. The drone has some pretty amazing features that make it one of the top choices if you already own a GoPro camera or if yo want to get one.
GoPro Karma can be folded up. If Phantom 2 is a pretty big quadcopter and you need a large backpack to carry it around then GoPro Karma is foldable so you can pack it down to a relatively small size and it`s so much easier to carry around. The DJI Mavic takes it a step further and practically fits in your pocket, but it has it`s own integrated camera so it`s not relevant to this Top 5 Best GoPro Drone list.
Another really cool thing about the Karma drone is that you can take the gimbal off the drone and use it with your GoPro camera as a separate hand-held gimbal. This is a HUGE benefit and will save you a few hundred bucks because you dont`t need a separate gimbal.
Key Features of GoPro Karma drone
- Maximum Speed: 35 mph (15 m/s)
- Maximum Distance: 3280ft (1000m)
- Maximum Flight Altitude: 14,500ft (4,500m)
- Maximum Wind Resistance: 22mph (10m/s)
- Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
- Dimensions (Opened/No Propellers): Length: 12in (303mm), Width: 16.2in (411mm), Height: 4.6in (117mm)
- Dimensions (Folded/Transport): Length: 14.4in (365.2mm), Width: 8.8in (224.3mm), Height: 3.5in (89.9mm)
- Propeller Length: 10in (25.4cm)
- Weight: 35.5oz (1006g)
The price is a bit higher than the DJI Phantom 2 starting at 799 USD for the drone and 1099 USD for the Drone with HERO5 camera. But we believe it`s definitely worth it`s price!
3. 3DR Solo Quadcopter
3DR produces a kickass drone that is compatible with HERO3, 3+ and Hero4. The 3DR Solo quadcopter has a sleek black design and has impressive build quality. With features like pushbutton flight and computer-assisted Smart Shots, Solo makes it easy for anyone to get professional aerial photos and video. Solo is powered by two 1 GHz computers for the best and smoothest aerial photography experience imaginable, including many world-first technologies and a host of built-in safety and support features. And it’s the only all-in-one drone to offer live video streaming in vivid HD from your GoPro® directly to your mobile device — at ranges up to half a mile.
The Solo has some interesting features that the competition doesn`t like:
Cablecam: You can lock Solo onto a virtual cable, or a path between two points. You can set the first and last frame and Solo will then smoothly pan between those two points. You can get some really smooth and pre-planned pan shots with this function.
Orbit: You can make the 3DR Solo circle any object you have defined so it circles around it getting the exact shot you want
It also features a Selfie mode and a Follow mode that are can be found on other drones as well.
Key features of 3DR Solo:
- Cameras: Compatible with GoPro® HERO3, 3+ and 4; optimized for HERO3+ and 4
- Streaming video quality: 720p
- Flight time: 25 minutes; 20 minutes with payload*
- Range: .5 miles** (.8 km)
- Max speed: 55 mph (89 km/h)
- Max ascent speed: 10 m/s in stabilize mode; 5 m/s in “fly” mode
- Max payload: 420 g
- Max altitude: 400 ft per FAA regulation, user adjustable (122 m)
- Motors: 880 kV
- Propellers: 10″ diameter 4.5″ pitch self-tightening (24 cm diameter 144 cm pitch); glass-reinforced nylon
- Autopilot: Pixhawk 2
- Software: APM:Copter
- Communication: 3DR Link secure WiFi network
- Frequency: 2.4 GHz
- Weight: 3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) / 3.9 lbs. (1.8 kg) with GoPro® and Solo Gimbal
- Dimensions: 10 in. tall (25 cm), 18 in. (46 cm) motor-to-motor
The price tag on it is really sweet! You can grab it at as low as 266 USD if you are lucky!
The Airdog claims to be the only GoPro drone built for action sports and I can see how this makes sense. When the other competing drones have a big controller and are more meant to be piloted by you, the Airdog is pretty much like a dog – it follows you around and doesn`t require a pilot.
Airdog is a self-flying action sports drone designed by top athletes. This magnificent beast follows you with precision even if you are doing the craziest movements making sure you stay inside the frame. The Airdog has clever filters to make sure the drone doesn`t get confused when you are making rapid changes in direction so you can push your limits without wondering if the “dog” can keep up with you. After you are done you can command the Airdog to land in the spot it took off from, or if it runs low on battery it returns safely. The controller is something that differs completely from th competition. When the DJI and GoPro drones have a classic controller with a big screen the Airdog has an AirLeash – a compact control unit that you can put on your arm for example. The classic controllers would be way too bulky and not at all practical fo an action sports enthusiast or for anyone really who wants hands-free control over the drone.
The drone is built for to handle harsher conditions so heavy winds are nothing to that beast – good news for windsurfers, kitesurfers or in case you want to go out with a shitty weather. The Aridog also folds up so it’s easy to carry around.
Key features of AIRDOG
- Fully Autonomous Drone with sports specific flight modes
- AirDog autonomously follows you without a bulky remote control, so you can focus on the action!
- Control AirDog & make in-flight adjustments with AirLeash – the wearable, waterproof control & tracking device
- Future-proof. New flight modes & performance enhancements through free software updates
- Foldable, easily fits in your backpack
- Ground Collision Avoidance with LiDAR
- Compatible cameras: GoPro Hero3, 3+ Black, Silver, White (in slim housing) and Hero4 Silver, Black (in Standard Housing), Adapter for GoPro Hero5 available as an accessory
The Airdog drone sells for around 1500 USD – pretty hefty price tag if you compare it to the cheaper ones but for anyone who is into action sports, this is the drone to buy.
5.Cheerson CX-20 Quadcopter
The model has an integrated MX autopilot technology which allows high-quality flight functionality as well as a GPS option, and that let you change between Attitude Control and GPS Attitude Mode to get your desired flight adventure. A few online verified buyers claim it as one of the best drones for GoPro Hero 3 which is somewhat true to an extent from our point of view.
About 15 minutes of flight time. High intensity led lights, to aid orientation during flight. Equipped with 6-axis gyro, more stable and accurate to control. Attractive and highly integrated design. Left-hand throttle.
GoPro camera mount(camera not included). Auto-Pathfinder has an external removable camera mount for you to mount light and handy cameras (GoPro for example) or other video shooting electronic equipment. It is very convenient for you to record your flight…………………………………………..see Youtube video www.youtube.com/watch?v=utH_IHkjQUQ……
Vision Positioning system allows stable flight indoors.Failsafe & auto go home/landing. Auto-Pathfinder also has the failsafe function of the MX autopilot system. This means when the communication between the Mx Controller and the transmitter is disconnected, the outputs of all command sticks from controller will go to the center position. If the GPS signal is good enough, the system will automatically trigger Return To Home and will land safely.
Included flight battery and rechargeable remote controller means this system is ready to fly out of the box.
Key features of Cheerson CX-20
- Maximum flight speed 10m/s.
- Intelligent orientation control(IOC).
- Two flight control modes, including position hold.
- With the built-in MX autopilot system plus a GPS module, the Auto-Pathfinder has GPS Attitude and Attitude Control Mode.
- Pilots can switch between the two modes to achieve a particular flight experience.
- Stable, yet agile performance, easy to fly.
- Low voltage protection.
- Auto-Pathfinder also has two levels of low voltage protection, a function of the MX autopilot system.
Or from AliExpress