You basically have three options to control your GoPro cameras: on the camera itself, with a mobile app, and with a remote control. The GoPro Smart Remote is perfect for the occasions where you need to trigger the camera but you are far away and a mobile phone can be too cumbersome or might get damaged.
The GoPro Smart Remote is waterproof and can be used in 600ft (180m) range! You can drop it, soak it, throw it or get i really dirty. You can also use it with up to 50 cameras at once, you probably never need that functionality but good to know you have that option.
GoPro Smart Remote Features
- Complete camera control: delivers full remote control of all Camera Functions, including shutter, on/off, and settings.
- Long-range remote control: control your camera from distances of up to 600ft (180M) in optimal conditions.
- Control multiple cameras: enables control of up to 50 GoPro cameras at a time – perfect for multi-cam setups.
- LCD screen mirrors your camera’s: a built-in LCD screen mirrors your camera’s status screen for quick confirmation of camera functions and settings.
- The rugged design is wearable, mountable, and waterproof to 33ft (10m).
- Includes a Keyring and wrist strap: attach the remote to your keys, zippers, or other gear with the included key ring, or wear it like a watch with the included wrist strap.
- Includes 1 Year GoPro Manufacturer Warranty.
When you rely on remote controlling your GoPro with a mobile app you have the benefit of seeing the shot and can reframe if needed and you can also change ALL settings in the mobile app. But you are also very limited as your phone is big, the touch screen is not easy to work in some conditions and you can use it in dirty or wet conditions.
With the remote, you can attach it to anywhere with the velcro band or wear it on your wrist. You have all the access to the functions so you can switch between different modes.
You can take images while riding a mountain bike, kayaking, snowboarding, diving etc. I have used the remote while kiting and having the camera attached to the kite. Imagin landing the kite every time I wanted to switch between filming and shooting… You can take selfies of yourself right in the middle of the action without worrying about damaging or losing the remote. You can even attach a lanyard to it or a floaty for extra security on the water.
If you find the original GoPro Smart Remote a bit too expensive there are plenty of alternatives out there. The GoPro Smart Remote costs around 80USD in Amazon but I highly recommend TELESIN Smart Remote as a cheaper alternative.
The Telesin Smart remote has some slight disadvantages like smaller range (80m instead of 180m) it`s waterproof to 1m instead of 10m and can control up to 10 cameras. The TELESIN remote however has a better magnetic charging port. I have used the TELESN remote for years and I have not missed the benefits of the original remote.
The TELESIN Smart Remote costs around 50USD in Amazon so a 30-dollar difference is pretty notable.